Monday, February 7, 2011

inspiration to creation

beginning of a lap blanket for our sofa that I'm knitting
So, the inspiration for this red lap blanket I'm knitting came from the photo I posted in the previously dated entry. The two have nothing in common aesthetically except that they are both called lap blankets and both are knit. Realizing this, that they are not at all similar, got me thinking about inspiration and how I create. It's the same way I cook. I hate following recipes, even for baking. If I need inspiration for a meal I usually browse a few cooking sites or blogs. Mostly I just read recipe titles and look at photos. Then I go in the kitchen and make something inspired by a title or a few of them, or maybe a photo of a dish. I would say my process is similar for making pottery. I look at other people's ceramics and art and then I go into the studio, or kitchen as it were, and pinch my riff on something(s) I've seen elsewhere that moves my heart, head and hands. Of course nature is also rife with ceramic inspiration for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...